Environmental Health

Public and environmental health an essential means of ensuring better quality of life for local residents, as well as making the Dorset area a safe and attractive destination for tourists.

Council makes its responsibilities a priority regarding food and drinking water, as well as potential land, air and water pollution. Councils Environmental Health Officer is primarily concerned with how food is stored handled before public consumption, how some non-food related businesses conduct themselves hygienically, as well as ensuring drinking water and surrounding recreational swimming sites are contamination free. Other objectives include working with the public to manage any nuisance instances, which may take the form of noise, air or dust complaints. Special provisions are promoted by Council regarding burning within residential areas as well as how wood heaters can best be managed for a positive impact on neighbours and the environment alike.

Please find further information on Public and Environmental Health Services provided below.

-  Burning in your Backyard
-  Wood Heaters
-  Special Plumbing - what you need to know and do
-  Drinking Water
-  Place of Assembly Licence
-  Food Quality
-  Complaints

Backyard Burning

Burning of suitable materials is permitted on blocks over 2000 sqm only, and regulations apply in these circumstances. Should you choose this method, please take due consideration of conditions on the day including wind direction, moisture content of materials to be burnt and proximity of neighbouring properties. It is advised to notify neighbours that may be impacted regarding dates and duration also.

Wood Heaters

Please take note of the curent regulations for controlling smoke from your wood heater. This will provide a better environment for everybody in the community: Wood Heater Regulations.

Further advice on healthy and efficient operation of wood heaters can be found under EPA’s Burn Brighter Program

Special Plumbing - what you need to know and do

Thinking of a Septic Tank & Maintenance of a Septic Tank

Water Monitoring

Safe and clean drinking water is pivotal to healthy communities. Private water suppliers include food premises and suppliers of water from an untreated source. As such, persons intending on providing untreated water for public consumption are required to notify Council.

 Council is responsible for recreational water monitoring which helps maintain clean swimming and water sports areas. This includes regular sampling and assessment to ensure our beaches and rivers remain safe to use and enjoy. Council is also responsible for similar testing of public swimming pools and spas. 

Place of Assembly Licence

Place of Assembly Licence

Food Quality

Council plays a role in maintaining food safety within the community through food premise audits, food handler training, food sampling, and investigation of complaints food complaints.

Application for Registration/Renewal of a Food Business (New)

Notification of a Food Business Application Form (New)

Application for Mobile Food Business (New)

Fit out and construction requirements for food businesses:

Design and Construction Requirements


Dorset Council provides free "in-school" immunisation programs for school children. For further information regarding the school-based immunisation program please contact Council's Environmental Health Officer on 03 6352 6500 or click here to view the Department of Health & Human Services website.  A booklet - ool Based Immunisation – Information for parents and students is available to download here 

Sharps Disposal

Please note that private needle users, such as diabetics, can drop off used as well as obtain new sharps containers from Council offices.


Council's Public & Environmental Health Officer and Technical Officer are available to discuss and investigate any Public Health and Environmental complaint.

The following links may also be useful for information:

Food Safety

Water Monitoring/Quality

Tobacco Management 

Further details relating to public health may otherwise be found on the Health Services page, or for further information contact Dorset Council's Environmental Health Officer on (03) 6352 6500.